CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Funky Chunky Recycled Crayons!!!

I don't have the "million broken crayons" problem yet, but it certainly isn't too far away. I did, however, encounter a "million broken crayons" issue when I moved into my new classroom a couple of weeks ago. I threw A LOT of things away, but couldn't bring myself to throw away those crayons. I was on a mission to find a good solution and then I remembered that several months ago, I came across a GREAT idea to solve the problem.

The site: www.makeandtakes.com/recycled-chunky-crayons (gotta give credit where credit is due! :) ) I haven't attempted it YET, but am definitely planning on it. All photos came straight from the site. (Illegal, maybe?) I'm feeling rebellious... haha!

I think you'll LOVE this!

Before you start the fun stuff, preheat your oven to 275 degrees.

FIRST, take all of the paper off of the crayons and break them into small pieces.

THEN, spray a mini (or regular) muffin tin with vegetable spray.

NEXT, place crayons into each spot in the tin, like this:

Place them in the oven for 7-8 minutes. They'll look a little like this when you do:
Want swirly crayons? Grab a toothpick and swirl 'em around before they cool!

Let them cool completely before you pop 'em out of the muffin tin.

Looky looky!!
Those look like WAY more fun than the real things. And I just think they are PERFECT for little chubby clumsy toddler hands.

Here are some other ideas: Melt crayon bits in small paper cups in the microwave for about 4-6 minutes and pour them into ice trays....or candy molds....or decorative ice molds!

I have a star ice tray somewhere that I'm dying to find so that I can give this a shot!!!

What a great idea!!! Why didn't I think of that? :)

p.s....already working on the next idea! The easiest thing you'll ever make - - - PROMISE!

1 comment:

  1. Such a SUPER idea....my kids at school will be STOKED! Can't wait for your next post....

    ReplyDelete